This blog contains poetry written by Stephen Stacey. Feel free to explore and read all the poetry you want. I encourage you to leave comments concerning your reaction to any given poem.

This site and all my poetry is dedicated to my lovely wife Emily.

Thursday, February 7, 2008

Twenty Eyes and Twenty Ears


Twenty eyes and twenty ears
Watch my footsteps as I make them
Wait to see if I mistake them.
They have followed me for years.
Thirty ears and thirty eyes;
They, I see, are all around me,
Always trying to confound me.
They my purposes disguise.
Forty eyes are watching me,
Seeing what I’m doing always,
Limiting my thought in small ways.
In their bondage am I free?
Fifty eyes and fifty more
Take my words and scrutinize them,
Change my thoughts so I despise them
Still I claim them as before.
Sixty eyes are in my mind.
Always they have been inside me,
Watching those who walk beside me.
Have I always been so blind?

Inspired by the book 1984.

No comments: